Table of Contents
- 1 1. Pick out a black roll top bath
- 2 2. Choose a statement sink for a black bathroom
- 3 3. Go for a bang on trend black shower
- 4 4. Choose smart black bathroom wall tiles
- 5 5. Add plenty of stone surfaces to a black bathroom
- 6 6. Or you could go for some fantastic monochrome bathroom flooring
- 7 7. Get a black bathroom quick with paint
- 8 8. Or just paint your bathroom floor black
- 9 9. Or just paint your bathroom door black
- 10 10. Create a black bathroom instantly with wallpaper
- 11 11. Fit chic shutters in a black bathroom
- 12 12. Explore different textures in a black bathroom
- 13 13. Create contrast with a black and white bathroom
- 14 14. Want a black bathroom on a budget? Go for black accessories
- 15 15. Pick out black bathroom storage
- 16 16. Add greenery to a black bathroom
- 17 17. Add larger mirrors to black bathrooms
- 18 18. Create a gothic look in a black bathroom
- 19 More ways to add oomph to your bathroom:
Black bathrooms are everywhere right now. Stylish, sophisticated and so easy to match with other shades, black is the trending color we are seeing the most in the dreamy bathrooms of Instagram. And if the Instagrammers are loving it, we want in. So here are some fabulous black bathroom ideas to inspire you to follow suit.
Designing your space from scratch? Check out our bathroom ideas page for plenty of inspiration and to start putting your dream plans into action. And if you are feeling brave check out our colorful bathroom ideas too.
1. Pick out a black roll top bath
Roll top baths are a big investment, so choosing a versatile, neutral color that will go with anything if tastes change is a great idea. But rather than traditional white, why not opt for black for a design that’s equally flexible and amenable to being combined with other colorful bathroom schemes?
Find more advice on freestanding baths head to our design gallery.
2. Choose a statement sink for a black bathroom
If you’ve ever wondered why on earth most bathroom sinks are white – showing every speck of dirt – then a black sink may well be for you. There are loads of different designs available from the more traditional to the super modern. We love the simple square design of this black sink. Oh, and we think we might steal the idea of hanging monochrome prints in a black bathroom, too.
3. Go for a bang on trend black shower
You must have seen them all over Instagram. Just like black bathrooms, black showers are in. This gorgeous set up is from Meir (black tap and shower specialists) and the whole site is just so swoonworthy you must go and check it out.
4. Choose smart black bathroom wall tiles
Black wall tiles are a great choice for black bathrooms of all sizes, although they will look their glamorous best in a large family bathroom. With a variety of textures and finishes on offer, you can create either an inconspicuous background, or a feature tiled wall.
If you need any more tips on choosing bathroom tiles, go to our guide.
5. Add plenty of stone surfaces to a black bathroom
Stone tiles are a great choice for black bathroom floors and walls. Durable and water resistant (if properly maintained), black stone can also add plenty of character to your bathroom. Polished finishes will be less porous, and therefore more long-lasting, but watch out – if laid as bathroom flooring, they can be slippery, so a mat or rug is appropriate.
6. Or you could go for some fantastic monochrome bathroom flooring
Keeping the darker elements of the room to the lower half, with white or neutral furnishings and decor in the upper part, will help the space feel lighter and brighter all round. Geometric flooring rather than a solid black, which will show up every mark and speck of dust, is a smart choice.
7. Get a black bathroom quick with paint
If you’re worried about committing a black bathroom and investing in fixtures and fittings, a coat of black paint is a great alternative. An easy weekend refresh, it may take a few coats to cover over again, but at least you can reverse the decision when a new look is called for. Get plenty more bathroom paint ideas in our feature.
8. Or just paint your bathroom floor black
Painted floorboards are on trend, so if you’re lucky enough to have floorboards in your bathroom, why not create a really dramatic effect by painting them a dark color? It’s a DIY job: just follow our guide to painting floorboards, and remember it’s easy to update them in the future.
9. Or just paint your bathroom door black
Seeing a theme here? But if you aren’t feeling brave enough to paint large areas of your bathroom black, painting the woodwork instead can be a safe and easy way to introduce a darker colour. You can DIY, just check out our guide to how to paint a door – you’ll probably want to pick the best bathroom paint for the job, too.
10. Create a black bathroom instantly with wallpaper
It’s unusual to hang wallpaper in a bathroom, but if your room’s well ventilated and the wallpaper itself is water resistant, or won’t be splashed, consider the strategy. Use a wallpaper paste that’s suitable for damp rooms, too. Here, the wallpaper by Little Greene repeats the charcoal colors in the bath and Roman blind creating a really cohesive black bathroom.
For more bathroom wallpaper ideas check out our feature.
11. Fit chic shutters in a black bathroom
Whether you want to keep the walls light colored or ramp up the black-on-black effect of dark walls and dark window treatments, water-resistant black shutters are a practical and good looking option for a bathroom.
12. Explore different textures in a black bathroom
A great advantage of a monochrome bathroom scheme is the opportunity to play with a variety of textures. From smooth tiles to matt stone and shimmering, multi-toned mosaics, you can express your individual style by juxtaposing different types of wall tiles.
13. Create contrast with a black and white bathroom
If an all-black bathroom doesn’t float your boat, you can also create plenty of impact with a contrasting black-and-white scheme. The two colors can be mixed and matched as you please. Our tip is to go roughly half and half (think black wall and white floors or vice versa) for a striking effect.
14. Want a black bathroom on a budget? Go for black accessories
Doing up your bathroom on a budget? Accessories are a cheap and easy way to introduce on-trend colours to a room. We love H&M Home for gorgeous, affordable homeware, and this marble soap dish and the matching dispenser could be all your bathroom needs for a chic update.
15. Pick out black bathroom storage
For another budget-friendly black bathroom update, opt for some black bathroom storage. We love ladder towel storage and Tikamoon makes a really similar design to the one below for just £29. Black storage baskets are also a great call – practical and pretty.
For more bathroom storage ideas, check out our feature.
16. Add greenery to a black bathroom
Houseplants are a really easy way to break up all the black and bring a bit of softness and texture into your room. If your bathroom lack natural light, we would say go with fake plants – Amazon have loads of great options at really affordable prices.
17. Add larger mirrors to black bathrooms
To keep your black bathroom from becoming too dark, make sure you incorporate plenty of mirrors and reflective surfaces too. A large mirror above the sink will work but add in metallic lighting too and bathroom accessories to bounce even more light around.
18. Create a gothic look in a black bathroom
How delicious are these glossy black metro tiles? More dramatic than paint or wallpaper, bold, dark tiles add heaps of glamour but are still in keeping with that moodier vibe. If this look is a bit too Tim Burton for you, try using black bathroom tiles over a smaller surface area like a splashback, the walls of a shower or around a fireplace.